Part-time · $12.50 / hour
Some evening and weekend shifts required
Library Aide: Part Time – Civil Service Position and Classification: Library Aide; Non-competitive Reports to: Library Director
General Statement of Duties: To support the mission and vision of the Ilion Free Public Library. This position champions customer service, the use of library resources, and responsiveness through interactions between and among library staff and the public.
The role of the Library Aide is to assist patrons in accessing and appropriately using library spaces and resources effectively and equitably within the parameters of established library procedures and policies. Under the direct supervision of the Library Director, the person in this part-time position will be able to support patron use of library services and resources through the performance of specialized non-librarian duties.
Examples of Duties:
– Provide individual attention and assistance, as required, to meet the needs and abilities of patrons
– Refer patrons to appropriate resources or use of equipment
– Circulation of library materials along with related record keeping & procedures
– Create & maintain patron accounts
– Perform opening & closing procedures for start and end of the day
– General upkeep of library collections, materials, and spaces
– Basic record keeping associated with library services & programs
– Perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
– Passion for libraries and the delivery of outstanding services
– Strong customer service skills; patience & courtesy
– Good attention to detail and ability to follow procedures consistently
– Working knowledge of computers and other technology
– Ability to express ideas clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
– Excellent organizational skills
– Ability to work well independently, and as a member of a team
– Flexibility to embrace shifting approaches and practices
– Willingness to learn
Desirable Knowledge and Abilities:
– Thorough understanding of library services
– Thorough understanding of library layout and organization
Minimum Qualifications as Specified by Civil Service: Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma.
To apply please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.